Lady Hardinge Medical College
Alumni Association of North America
Celebrating, Supporting, and Empowering Women Physicians
History of LHMC
The foundation stone of Lady Hardinge Medical College for women was laid by Lady Hardinge on 17th March 1914. At the behest of Queen Mary, the college was named after Lady Hardinge after her death in 1914. The college and hospital were formally inaugurated by Lord Hardinge, the then Viceroy of India, on 17th February 1916.
Presence of an exclusive medical college for women inspired young women to choose medical profession as a career. Sixteen women were admitted to the college in the first year, and by 1956, the number had increased to 60. The number rose to 100 in 1961, 130 in 1970, 150 in 2008, finally touching 200 in 2021.
Initially, the college was affiliated to the University of Punjab and students had to sit for their final exams at King Edward Medical College in Lahore. The college became affiliated to University of Delhi in 1950 and post-graduate courses were started in 1954.